Monday 26 November 2012

"best Linux distro" Part One

linux penguins
Beside the insatiable and mindless search for celebs, the Google search box must have quite a few "best Linux distro" typed into it. No? I am guessing that many Windows users have recently started to look for more options. The jury is definitely out for Windows 8 and its dumbTablet™ user interface. And the other alternative of an Apple (sueThePantsOfThem™) might not appeal, especially for the budget conscious. Many big corporations must be also looking for areas of saving in the spirit of the recession.

I, of course, did the same six months ago and what a journey it has been! [Disclosure: six years ago, I did a similar thing and ended up trying out the SuSe variant. What happened? After trying to do simple things, like installing a new browser, etc., on it unsuccessfully for a month (off and on with lots of swearing) I gave up and returned to Windows - very gladly I might add.]

Just to give you a better picture of hardware that I own/use:
  1. "Desktop" or tower, home made with 4-cores and loads 'o' ram
  2. Toshiba notebook, 2-cores, 2GB ram
  3. Compaq notebook 1-core, 2GB ram
  4. Dell netbook with 1GB ram (no DVD/CD drive)
On this occasion, after a lot of googling using the title of this post, I found that the lumbering majority recommended ....... wait for it ......... UBUNTU!!! Not surprising at all, it being the hero of the new Linux revival. But I am never the one to take good old sensible suggestions to heart and continued googling. This time I appended the term "review" to the search term.

Now, reading Linux reviews for a newbie like me was like an epic drive on mixed roads in a foreign country. Sometimes you make good progress on easy roads and then you hit a junction designed by someone with a PhD in "entanglement" (honest, this term does exist in Quantum physics). You have to drop these reviews quickly else you'll very quickly get brain meltdown!

Anyway, a plain talking, compelling reviewer, Dedoimedo (where on earth does this come from?!) posted an intriguing review on Zorin Linux. Anything intriguing I'm attracted to like a moth to a candle flame. So this Zorin got downloaded and installed on machine3 (Compaq - see above).

Hey! What an experience! Wobbling widows, cubic desktops, drag trails, bouncing stops and more! The eye candy was overwhelming. But problems started when i tried some simple navigation. The slowness and delay in just simple tasks was a total show stopper. Then the install crashed a few times when I tried to do anything quickly on the mouse or keyboard. My machine is not man enough for this distro ( SHOCK, HORROR, a 2GHz, 2GB machine is not good enough to run Linux!!!). Tried fiddling with the Nvidia drivers but it only made things worse. Ok, I hadn't a clue what I was doing either.

Cutting a long story short, I gave up - not surprisingly - and tail between the legs, downloaded Ubuntu. But that's a story for "best Linux distro" Part Two.



Earn Free Dodgecoins

No comments:

Post a Comment